Hello everyone, I thought now with summer in full effect, I would share some habits I’ve picked up recently. I feel like these are just little things anyone can squeeze into their daily routine, no matter how busy they are. I’ve been doing these for about 4 months and I’ve noticed such a big difference. I feel so much more energized and am always in a better mood. I like the fact that all of these little habits work together so it makes it much easier to do all of them.
1. Drink more water– Drinking enough water everyday seemed to be the one thing I could never remember to do. Since I started trying to take better care of myself, the number one thing I’ve been doing is making sure I drink enough water every single day. I have a bottle that I drink out of that marks how much I should drink by certain times throughout the day and incase I forget the bottle somewhere, I have an app on my phone that will remind me. I’ve actually noticed a big difference; when I didn’t drink enough water, I felt sluggish all day and didn’t sleep well at night, but now that I drink plenty, I feel much more awake and I sleep so much easier.
2. NEVER skip breakfast– Not eating breakfast everyday was the second big mistake I constantly made. I would be in such a rush trying to get everything done or get to places on time that I forgot to eat something. Now I make sure I eat something everyday soon after I wake up. It doesn’t matter how small the breakfast, just as long as I eat something, I feel more energized and therefore more productive and less cranky during the day. The easiest breakfasts for me are yogurt with fresh fruit and granola or toast with peanut butter and raisins, they are easy to make and I can eat them as I’m getting ready to leave.
3. Walk more everyday– I know I get plenty of walking done when I’m at school and work, but it’s never very fast paced and doesn’t get my heart rate up and when I get home at night I’m usually so tired I don’t feel like doing any kind of work out. When I started drinking more water and felt so much better, I had more energy, so I’ve started walking during the evenings. I try to walk at least a mile, sometimes I walk it and if I feel up to it, I’ll jog it. It only takes about 15-20 minutes depending on how fast I go and I feel so much better afterwards. Also, if you go at night, please try to get someone to go with you. Depending on where you live, it may not be safe.
4. It’s okay to skip dessert– I used to always feel the need to eat something super sweet and unhealthy after dinner, like chocolate cake or a whole pint of ice cream (I know, I know, but I couldn’t help it) and would end up feeling bloated and really bad about myself. I feel like now that I drink enough water throughout the day, it helps me not feel so hungry all the time, and I don’t need to eat dessert every night. If I do feel like eating something after dinner, I’ll get a little bowl of fruit or even have a cookie, but it’s not anywhere near as bad as before and I feel much better about myself.
5. Get enough sleep– I know a lot of people, myself included, have very busy days and often don’t get enough sleep, but once it got to the point where I could no longer hide the bags under my eyes or the fact that I constantly drank coffee, I decided to make more time for myself so I would be able to get a full night’s sleep. I started by asking my boss to change my hours a little until school was out, and she agreed, therefore I would have time to get home and eat and get stuff like laundry done and go to bed at a reasonable time. Now that it’s summer and I’m done with school, I won’t be as busy as before, but I’m still going to make it a priority to get enough sleep.
That’s all of the habits I’ve picked up for now, but I’m constantly looking for little things that’ll help me be healthier or just feel better about myself, so if you have any suggestions, feel free to leave them in the comments. What are your favorite habits?